Insurance claim tips from RSA Motability

Being involved in an accident can be a worrying time, but the Motability Scheme is here to support you. As a Scheme customer, insurance through RSA Motability (RSAM) is included in your three year lease package. Here are some tips if you, or one of your named drivers, has an accident.

1.Stay calm, ensure everyone is safe and don’t admit fault

2. Call an ambulance by dialing 999 if anyone is injured. Call the police on 101 (the non-emergency number) if the other driver leaves without giving details

3. Make a note of the other driver’s details and any witnesses by filling out the form on the accident checklist. You can print out a copy to keep in your glove box

4. If you can, take pictures of the cars, drivers, passengers, damage and the accident scene from several angles

5. Report the incident to us as soon as possible

6. If you are unable to drive the car, call the RAC for roadside support and assistance.

Roadside support and assistance

If you’re not able to drive your car as a result of an accident, please contact RAC Motability Assist for roadside support and assistance. They are available to help 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They will pick up the car and take it to the repairer, who will assess the extent of the damage to the car and advise you whether repairs need to be carried out or not.

Repairing your Motability car

RSAM have repairers across the UK who’ll be assigned to repair your car once your claim is registered. They will keep you up to date with the progress of repairs to your car and will provide you with a courtesy car while your own car is being repaired. Typically these courtesy cars are standard models such as a Fiesta or Corsa. Whilst this caters for the requirements of the majority, we regret that we are unable to meet everyones needs.

What to do if your car is damaged?

If your car is damaged, please contact us for advice on whether you need to get it repaired.

Online claims form

If the damage is minor and caused by normal wear and tear, you may not need to claim for a repair, saving you time and money. Tyre, window and windscreen repair is usually included in your worry-free package.

What is normal wear and tear?

We would expect that three years of motoring would result in some light scuffing, scratching or stone chipping to your car, particularly on the bodywork, wheels, interior trim and luggage areas. Damage caused by wheelchairs, callipers, crutches or walking sticks would also be classed as fair wear and tear and we would not expect it to be repaired.

More information

Together, with RSA Motability (RSAM) we have arranged to give insurance protection for all cars leased through the Motability Scheme. You can also visit or call RSAM on 0300 037 3737 for more information or if you need to make an insurance claim.

More serious damage, however, would not meet Motability’s standards. This includes:

  • deep dents and scratches on bodywork that go through to the metal
  • severe cracks on bumpers and mirror housings
  • irreparable damage such as burns or tears to the interior
  • heavy gouges to alloy wheels or plastic trim.

If a car is handed back with damage, Motability may look to you to cover the costs of repair. If you are in any doubt about the level of repair required, please contact RSAM and we will confirm what action to take.

Your warranty

All Motability Scheme cars come with at least a three year warranty. Any repair caused by general wear and tear or mechanical fault is covered, except if there is evidence of neglect or misuse. Your dealer should let you know how long the repairs will take and if there is going to be a delay. If you are not happy with how a repair has been dealt with, please call the Motability Scheme Customer Services team on 0300 456 4566.

Minor damage

If you choose to have minor damage repaired, you can make a claim through RSAM. You will need to pay an excess amount of £100 (some customers, such as young and inexperienced drivers, may attract a higher excess). Please do not attempt to repair the damage yourself. Even using pens or aerosols for ‘touching up’ can damage the paintwork.

Online Claims form

What to do if your car is lost or stolen

If your car is stolen or taken without your permission you should notify the police immediately, giving them as much detail as possible, and remember to obtain a crime reference. You will need to contact us immediately to register a claim. We will advise you on what to do next.

Online Claims form

What to do if your scooter or powered wheelchair is involved in an accident

Make sure you take the following actions:

  • Exchange details with any other people involved in the accident, giving them your name, address, phone number and RSA Motability (RSAM) details
  • Don’t admit any fault, deny the claim, negotiate or promise to pay anything, without our written permission
  • Even if you can’t see any immediate damage or injury, report the accident to us on 0800 294 0790. as soon as possible to register the claim
  • If you can’t use your scooter or powered wheelchair after the accident, we will arrange for one of our network of repairers to collect it
  • We will keep you updated with how the repair work is progressing.

What to do if your scooter or powered wheelchair is stolen

If your scooter or powered wheelchair is stolen, or taken without your permission, please tell the police immediately, giving them as much information as possible. They will give you a crime reference, which you will need when you make your claim. Then contact us on 0800 294 0790. You can find an accident checklist on Motability’s site.

Accident checklist

If you need to make an insurance claim, for example, if you have been involved in an accident or your Motability vehicle has been broken into, damaged or stolen, please call RSAM on 0300 037 3737.

From the Motability Scheme


Popular articles