Barbecues are a great way to get together with friends and family and there’s very little that can’t be cooked on a barbecue, from a traditional English breakfast to a whole roast chicken dinner! It’s National BBQ Week from 28 May to 3 June 2018 so James Coke, Scheme customer and food blogger, shares his recipe for barbecued chicken skewers.
Barbecued Chicken Skewers
Preparation time: 10 minutes once the chicken has marinated for 6 hours
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 450g chicken breasts skinned & chopped
- 150g greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- juice of 1 whole lemon
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 10g fresh mint finely chopped
- 10g fresh coriander finely chopped
- Combine all the ingredients of the marinade in a bowl and mix well together.
- Add the chicken pieces and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in boiling water. Once they have softened, thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers with peppers and onions.
- Grill or barbecue for about 8 minutes, turning and basting in the remaining marinade continuously.
- Serve with pitta bread, salad or whatever else takes your fancy.
The more attention you give to the chicken i.e. incorporating flavour then you will get the best results. I grilled these, coating in excess marinade as I cooked them and the results were excellent. The trick is to chop the chicken into bite sized pictures and leave immersed in the marinade for at least 6 hours. Make sure you don’t overcook the chicken as you want it succulent inside, yet crispy and caramelized on the outer.
James is passionate about eating the right way and sharing good food and good times with family and friends. For more of James’ recipes, visit his blog thedisabledchef.com