Taking your Scheme car abroad – what you need to know

We know that your Motability Scheme vehicle isn’t just crucial to helping you with everyday activities, but also gives you the opportunity to travel abroad.

If you’re thinking of heading to another country in your vehicle, there’s some important information you need to know and documents you need to take with you.

Where can I take my vehicle?

You are allowed to take your Motability Scheme vehicle abroad for up to 12 months to a country within the European Union and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. The 12 month limit is due to DVLA changes following Brexit. More information on the these changes can be found on the Government’s website.

What documents do I need to take?

If you’re thinking of taking your Motability Scheme car on holiday with you, you will need to get a VE103 (Vehicle on Hire certificate) before you travel, which confirms you have our permission to take the car abroad. This includes if you are travelling to the Republic of Ireland.

You can request a VE103 by calling the RAC on 0800 731 3310.  When you request your VE103 you’ll also be able to include RAC European Breakdown Cover at no extra cost. If you choose to travel abroad without arranging breakdown cover, you’ll be responsible for all recovery charges in the event of a breakdown.

Do I need a Green Card?

You no longer need a Green Card to drive your Motability Scheme vehicle abroad.

The only exception is if you are towing a trailer or caravan, which may need a Green Card of its own. You can request this from Direct Line Motability (DLM) by calling 0300 037 3737.  They will issue a Green Card free of charge, but please be aware they will only provide third party cover whilst the trailer or caravan is attached to your Motability Scheme vehicle.

If you are a powered wheelchair or scooter customer, you do not need a Green Card or any other documents to take your product abroad.

Long term travel

You are not permitted to take the Motability Scheme vehicle abroad for more than 12 months.

If you’re travelling for more than 90 days, you must speak to DLM on 0300 037 3737 at least three weeks in advance of your journey. They will consider your request and if it is permitted, they will send you written consent. Please note that cover for legal expenses and replacement locks is not available while you are abroad.

If you are going abroad for between 6 and 12 months you, you must contact our Customer Services team on 0300 456 4566 at least three weeks in advance of your journey as you will need written permission from us before you travel. 

GB and UK stickers

Following the UK leaving the EU, most countries required vehicles registered in the UK to display a ‘GB’ sticker when driving abroad. However, from 28 September 2021, the rules around number plate stickers have changed and you may now need to display a ‘UK’ sticker instead.

You can find out more about these changes on the Government’s website.

What else do I need to know?

If you have a UK photocard driving licence, this will still be valid when taking your Scheme car abroad. However, if you hold a UK paper driving licence, you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in some European countries.

These requirements may also change again in the future, so it is worth checking whether you require an IDP before you travel, even if you hold a photocard licence. More information can be found on the Government website or Post Office website

Travel rules can vary between countries, so it is always important to check whether there are any specific requirements for the country you are visiting. Many European countries require you to carry items such as a first aid kit and a reflective vest in your vehicle, so you should make sure you are prepared before you set off. For more information on what is required in the country you are travelling to, visit the RAC website

It is also worth taking a Statement of Facts on Motor Vehicle Accident form in case you have an accident while you are abroad. These can be printed in English and the language of the country you are visiting, so that you can easily exchange details with another driver despite any potential language barrier. You can obtain a copy of this form from


Bookmark the Government’s website for the latest information on travelling to the EU. In addition to the driving documents mentioned above you will also need:

  • Passport valid for at least six months
  • Travel insurance that covers healthcare
  • Animal health certificate if you’re travelling with pets



Related Articles

Insurance on the Motability Scheme: your questions answered

We’ve changed our insurance provider

Travelling to Europe on the Eurostar: an accessibility guide

From the Motability Scheme


Related articles

Popular articles