Female Motorist Involved In Car Accident Calling Insurance Company Or Recovery Service

How your car insurance works

One of the many benefits of leasing your car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) through the Motability Scheme is that you’re covered by RSA Motability (RSAM) insurance. Without you having to do anything more, you will automatically be covered for Loss and Damage Protection, which includes accidental damage, fire and theft of the vehicle, windscreen damage or replacement and incorrect fuelling.

Hopefully, your journeys will be safe and uneventful and you will never have any need to make any kind of claim during the course of your lease. But if you do have an accident or incident, you will need to know who to call.

If you’re involved in an accident…

What happens here depends on the severity of the incident. If it’s a minor accident, with no obvious damage to your vehicle and no third-party involved, you’ll need to call RSAM as soon as possible on 0300 037 37 37. You’ll be asked for details about you, about the incident and about your vehicle, and you’ll need to have your policy number to hand. The claims department will assess the claim and advise if the car needs to be repaired.

If there is noticeable damage to your vehicle and it needs repairs, RSAM will advise on where it should be taken or organise for it to be collected if it is unsafe to drive. If your vehicle is involved in a collision with another vehicle and one or both are damaged, RSAM will look to establish liability for the accident to determine who is liable for covering the cost of the repairs. You’ll need to provide the name, address, insurance details of the third party involved in the accident and as much detail as possible.

In each situation, you have to call RSAM to notify them of the incident, even if you think the damage to your vehicle is minimal. It’s crucial that you call RSAM as soon as possible, ideally within a week. This is partly because failure to do so could invalidate your cover but also because the details of the incident or accident will be fresher in your memory.

Once a claim has been made, RSAM will automatically notify the Motability Scheme – you will not need to contact the Scheme directly.

If your car has a chip or crack in the glasswork…

Because a small chip can crack at any time, and because a crack can become larger and compromise the strength of the windscreen, your visibility and safety, it’s vital that you act the moment you spot any damage. Call Glassline as soon as you can on 0300 037 9944 or book an appointment to get your glass fixed. Please note for windscreen replacement, a £50 excess will apply. 

If required, Autoglass will arrange for a mobile repairer to come out to you. You’ll need to tell the repairer that you are a Motability Scheme customer and have your Certificate of Motor Insurance to hand.

If your car has been stolen…

If your car is stolen, you’ll first need to notify the police to report the crime, providing as much detail as possible and making sure to obtain a crime reference number. Once you’ve done that, you’ll need to register a claim with RSAM . Follow the simple submission form and submit. RSAM will advise you on what to do next.

If your car keys have been stolen, report the theft to the police first, then register a claim to arrange replacements.

Read more about the insurance provided by RSAM for the Motability Scheme.

Related articles 

A day in the life of a RAC Patrol Man

Insurance claim tips from RSA Motability

From the Motability Scheme


Related articles

Popular articles